Me as a young pup!

Me as a young pup!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Life is so Precious


To most people this looks like a tiny twig. It can float in water, fly when it is thrown, but it can also take a pup to the vet on an emergency visit (you may notice the red blood on the right side of the stick).

Yesterday when my Mom and Dad came home my Dad took me out to go play fetch with my cool glow in the dark ball. We tried to stop by our normal spot but for some reason there were kids playing soccer on the field. We had to go with Plan B......The Ballard Community Center Fields. This is a much bigger area but has more things that I get distracted with (people walking across the fields, sticks, rocks, etc.) After fetching the ball about five times distraction started getting the best of me. So many sticks to choose from that I can pick up and run around the field with. I found the perfect stick and began chewing it and it broke in pieces pretty easily, which led to an uh-oh moment.

I started gagging and dry heaving and pawing at my mouth. My dad reached his hand in my mouth to try to pull it out. This led me to throw up a little but that still didn't help. This thing was still lodged in my mouth. We decided to run home, hoping mom would be there to help and to examine the problem in better light.

At home Dad was able to see the problem. This stick (pictured above) was wedged in between my teeth at the roof of my mouth. I couldn't get it out. I have no thumbs! So Dad opened my mouth and began to tug at it, but this hurt and I accidentally bit him (sorry Dad). So there was nothing left to do. I thought I was going to have this in my mouth forever. After a quick phone call to Mom, we came up with the solution, The Vet! I was a little nervous about this idea. I thought this would result in me having to wear a cone around my head for 10 days.

Once we got to the vet it only took about 3 minutes in the back room before they had removed the stick from my mouth. I felt so much better. What a pain that was. I am so thankful for all of my Dad's efforts. He saved my life!


Here is a picture of me at home checking out the thing that created so much annoyance and pain for me. It looked so good that I wanted to chew it up again.

And below is me recovering with my Mom. Mom's always know the best way of making me feel better.



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Flynn. I am so sorry that you had to make a trip to the EV (emergency vet!) Yikes. I am glad you are feeling better. You are lucky to have such great parents. You should not fart for the next week to thank them for taking care of you... just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Flynn, i know i keep asking for more blogs from you but this is not the way to do it. im glad you are ok and i wonder what things your dad was saying while trying to remove the stick from your mouth....did he say something like "i bet this never happened to another pup before?" just curious.
    gpa

    ReplyDelete